The Importance Of Using HVAC Filters
We use filters for various purposes, whether it’s to strain your coffee, or using a fly screen to stop pesky mosquitoes from entering your room. Filters make our life easier. And they also play a big role in the functioning and efficiency of your air conditioning unit. It is easy to ignore the state of your air conditioner as long as it’s releasing cold air. However, you need to ensure your aircon is releasing cool breeze at its maximum efficiency to drowns out the heat of summer.
It is important to use fresh HVAC filters for your aircon to run efficiently through the summer without exertion. The more clogged your filter is, the harder it will need to work to push air through it. So how do you check if your filters are all good and dandy without hiring a professional?
- Know which system you have installed.
- Locate the manual and make a note of the make and model number.
- If the manual is missing, the make and model should be visible on the ac unit.
- Buy the right HVAC filter.
- When you go shopping for HVAC filters, you will realise there are a variety of shapes and sizes of filters. Your manual should have the shape and size that you need to buy.
- Purchasing one that is too small or large can result in gaps allowing dust and debris to pass through, which can potentially burn out your HVAC system.
- Make sure your unit is turned off!
- Lift the lid of your air conditioner.
- Check to see if your filter is damaged or needs reconditioning. If you’re not sure how to, check out this piece on how to identify and clean your filters.
- Clean your filters (if there are access panels to get to the washable filter)
- If the damage isn’t too bad, use a vacuum for a thorough clean
- If it appears to be very clogged, scrub it under warm water and ensure it is completely dry before placing it back.
- If this is the first time removing filters from your unit, follow the manual instructions carefully in order to remove the filter.
- Change your filters.
- Remove the access panels to reach the filter
- Carefully, following the instructions, remove the old filter
- Insert the new filter
- Make sure the arrow on the outside of the filter is pointing in the same direction as air flow
- Can’t figure it out or simply just don’t have the time?
- Seek the help of a professional to properly recondition your filter with a 100% satisfaction that it has been fixed by a trained professional.
- As HVAC filters are different from regular filters, it is important to know what you are doing.
- HVAC filters are also more costly and time consuming to recondition compared to regular filters, which is why extra caution should be taken.
- Keep track of changes
- Mark your calendars
- Every time you do a clean or change of your filters, make sure to mark it on your calendar so you can remember whenever the filter needs changing
- It is a good rule of thumb to change your HVAC filters every 45 to 60 days.
- If you suffer from allergies or have pets you may need to change more frequently especially during the summer months.
Having clean air-conditioner filters can really affect your quarterly electricity bills. Sometimes we just simply forget to change our filters because it is still releasing cold air. However, a clogged filter doesn’t mean cool air won’t be released from the unit, it just means that it will have to work a buck load harder in order to release that cool air. Whether it is the cost, time or unsurety stopping you from checking and changing your filter, don’t sweat. At Air-Rite, Call a professional to get advice straight away.