In order to keep your home cool this summer, it’s important to make sure all the appliances you’ll need are in tip-top condition or if you are in the market for a new appliance, you need to make sure you know what’s involved when installing one. One of these appliances is our trusty air conditioner. If you’re thinking of installing a new AC unit for the first time, there are a few things to consider like ensuring the AC installer knows where you want the AC unit placed. But when the time comes to service the AC unit, there are a few steps that are involved and sometimes it isn’t as easy as it seems but it doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Though, it is important to ask the right questions, so what should you as the homeowner do to ensure the AC installation runs smoothly and above board?
Always research the best AC unit that’s not only suitable for your budget but also to your house. It’s important you know what type of AC unit you can actually install as some may not be suitable for your household. Also, it doesn’t hurt to ask a professional tradesman about the best solution for you.
Founded in 1936 under the electronics company Yaou Shoten Ltd. in Japan, Fujitsu continues to strive and expand its core technology and development by improving the quality of life for consumers. With a wide variety of products, Fujitsu aims to focus on developing the best home improvement solutions for the environments of both domestic and commercial.
There are four types of Fujitsu AC units available at Air-Rite suitable but not limited to this installation process.
- Fujitsu Lifestyle Range – Wall Mounted: Air flows through one unit throughout the house.
- Fujitsu Multi-split Systems: Multi-split system multiple units within the house.
- Fujitsu Ducted Systems: Heats or cools rooms conditioned through the ventilation systems.
- Fujitsu Floor and Dual Console Heat Pump: Can be installed where there is no ceiling or wall space available and heat or cool a room through the floor.
Understanding Energy Ratings
Once you have chosen the perfect addition for your home, it’s important you understand the terms of what’s involved. As a homeowner, it’s also just as important to know that all air conditioners have different energy ratings. Energy Ratings Australia recommends the Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS) for both heating and cooling are solely based on their full heating and cooling standard capacity. However, one energy rating from each capacity can be different from the other, so it’s important to visit ERA for more info to see which rating best suits your living conditions. No doubt you’ll want to pick the best air conditioning unit with the most efficiency.
Finding a Trustworthy Tradie
Most people seek installation for a professional through word of mouth or referral and in some cases, people tend to research the best air conditioning company to install it whilst a small number of people opt to DIY to save money. However, in this case, it’s all a matter of either asking around or Googling reputable and registered companies with good customer reviews.
Length of Installation
After you’ve found the right tradie for the job, it’s a good idea how long it will take to install it. Most AC units average from 8 to 14 hours to install, so please prepare and make sure you don’t have any other plans made on the same day. Also if you are considering replacing your old unit, please make sure to clear the driveway of any vehicles or any other objects that may pose as a risk and to keep all pets inside or placed in a safe area.
Regulations and Requirements
Before you go ahead with the installation process, you must acknowledge the AC unit requirements and regulations, depending on what state you live in. For Queenslanders, Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC) has more info on the safety requirements and current legislation.
Installing the AC Unit
An expert tradie will normally follow these installation and maintenance procedures or ones similar.
Indoor Unit – Installation
- Turn off all power supply to the house.
- Choose a suitable location on your wall to mount the indoor unit.
- Secure the mounting plate to the wall.
- Drill a 3 in (7.6 cm) hole through the wall to feed the pipes through to the condenser outside.
- Ensure the electrical connection can reach outside for the indoor unit.
- Connect the pipes from inside to the outdoor condenser.
- Place and secure the AC unit to the mounting plate.
Outdoor Condenser Installation:
- Find a suitable area to place the condenser away from dust and heat.
- Lay concrete base on the ground.
- Screw down the AC unit Unit to the concrete pad.
- Wire and adjust the electrics. (remove the panel)
- Connect all piping and electrics to the outdoor unit.
- Compress any air or refrigerant from the pipes.
- Install the pipes onto the wall with clamps.
- Seal up the hole with sealing foam.
- Turn on the AC unit and enjoy the cool air.
There’s nothing worse than having your new air conditioning installed and finding a nasty surprise in your home like internal damage/leakage in walls and ceilings, electrical damage/upgrades due to poor workmanship. Make sure your project plan has a contingency (reassurance) to cover the excess should anything go wrong. It’s always best to inspect the workmanship before you go through with the full payment and don’t be afraid to ask questions if you’re not sure.
Test and Enjoy
When finished with the inspection, the tradie will always test the AC unit for you and show you the best method to use a Fujitsu Air conditioner so you can enjoy the indoors in comfort.
At some point, there will come a time where you will be required to clean the air conditioning unit. Whether you or a professional does it for you, the upkeep of an air conditioner is incredibly important as it can affect the quality of the performance. Here are some steps Fujitsu Air recommends:
- Lift intake grille
- Remove air filters
- Remove dust pin from the front of the AC
- After cleaning, put all filters, grilles & dust pin back into place.
If you require a replacement or a brand new unit, it is imperative that all Fujitsu AC owners should be equipped with the knowledge of what to expect for installation and maintenance processes. It is vital that all owners understand the importance of maintaining the temperature-controlled technology as it can reduce costs in the long and short term. If you’ve considered installing a new air conditioning or you just want more info, contact Air-Rite for a free consultation & quote.